Friday, March 16, 2007

25 Things I Hate About Google

Searching through Click for an article to post I stumbled upon "25 Things I Hate About Google" which got my attention because I love Google. I love Google because it is extremely fast, efficient, and simple to use. I can type google.com in less than a second and have a search result 95% of the times of what I am looking for. It is a free service and doesn't send ads or pop ups my way. Danny Sullivan, however, feels differently. In his article "25 Things I hate About Google" Sullivan brings out some of the negative aspects of Google's and in a sense opens my eyes to some of the draw backs of Google. Sullivan suggests that Google search results are manipulated and LIE, lack of related search options, inconsistent results from country to country, aren't responsive enough to click fraud claims, self serve adsense creates to much junk, etc. This were some of the problems that Sullivan pointed out that caught my attention. Continuing Sullivan suggests that blogging is full of junk, something Professor Brown my disagree with. He finds that Google doesn't act fast enough on copyright infringment through blogs and such. One Google service I have no experience with but most likely will in the future is GMAIL. However Sullivan has caused me to question its effienct. Gmail doesn't display more than 100 items (considering the junk mail I get this is horrible), doesn't have customized blacklists (which are useful), and the fact that its free (this I have no problem with). Overall, it is obvious Google has some flaws, however one could not argue its incredible influence on our lives and our uses of the internet.

No comments: